Saturday, May 10, 2008

Disappointing encounter


I wanted to share this picture of the two ferns that I bought from a local nursery today. The ferns are so beautiful but their beauty has been tempered by an incident that happened there today.
We have been using Car-Mar Gardens for years. They landscaped by parents property and have been friends with them for as long as I can remeber. We live about 4 miles from them and we purchase not only all our flowers but all our mulch too. We have enjoyed going there and browsing and talking with them, getting advise and the such.
Today after I purchased the two ferns and wrote my check the clerk asked me for my driver's license. Imagine my surprise. I walked to my car to get my license but as I did I became...disappointed....frustrated...and many other feelings that I can not even express. I handed her my license and she used a new machine to run it through (similar to what Walmart uses. Now, don't misunderstand...we own rental properties...I know about people writing bad checks....no this isn't about money. This is about losing something...that feeling that your neighbors know you and trust you and are happy to see you when you enter the store. Where you feel that you can make a difference when you buy from someone local.
I am disturbed that today I know that we have lost yet another bit of what it means to live in a small community. That the love of money has won again.
I will not enjoy my ferns as much this year...they have lost a little bit of their appeal. What a shame...what a lose...what a disappointment.

2 comments:

Cottage Contessa said...

I'm sorry that happened sweetie. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day Dianntha!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Donetta said...

I appreciate the feeling. We lived in our last home 16 years and I knew every retailer and employee. When we moved here we lost that. I have built it up a bit. I am so glad that we are looking to move nearby.